Monday, May 17, 2010

Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!!

You want a piece of me????

This past Sunday morning I participated in the Uwharrie Rumble - a 13.1 mile run through the Uwharrie National Forest in Mount Gilead, NC.  I thought it would be a fine test for me, to see how I run some single track trails, with some small hills thrown in.  Result - a lot harder than I would have thought!

Now you should know, I am working on running longer distances on back-to-back days on the weekends, in order to build up leg strength and prepare for the realities of the TransRockies run.  So on Saturday, I did a 10 miler in the morning before spending a day in the sun at the ballparks for my kids games.  Then it was mid 70s and humid for the Sunday race.  Probably not ideal for a great run, but I fortunately went in with no lofty expectations - this was just a training run - and if I finished in 2:30, I was going to be happy.

Mount Gilead is about an hour outside of Charlotte, and the Uwharrie Rumble started in a small clearing in the midde of the National Forest.  It was no surprise this was going to be a small event.  They didn't have room for many cars. The 8k race went off at 8:00 am with about 50 people, and the 1/2 marathon followed at 8:30 with about 80 people.  If you measured races by the total Porta-Potties available for participants, this was a 3-seater!   And there were no lines!!!

Since people get spread out pretty quickly based on abilities, I started near the back of the pack so I wouldn't slow anyone down, and after a few miles found myself tucked in behind 2 - 3 other runners keeping a steady 9 1/2 minute/mile pace.  Couldn't go too fast behind people while watching for tree roots and rocks and other obstacles.  Gotta tell you, nothing beats trail running! It is certainly better than running the open roads, because the concentration is much more intense, and your legs and feet are constantly going in different directions.  Only drawback?  You have to keep your eyes glues to the runners legs and feet in front of you.  Fortunately for me, that was a female runner!  :)

We crossed 5 miles in a respectable 47:47, and continued that pace for the next 1 1/2 miles.  At that moment, I came to realize what Lynn and I are up against in Colorado.  My legs were feeling strong, but the trail decided to slope upward for the next mile or so.  I lost the pack I was with, and had to walk much of the uphill.  It was a defeating feeling, but I wasn't alone as the few other runners around started doing the same thing.  So for the next 2 miles, it was on/off running, and I recognized I was much more drained than I thought.

I crossed the 8 1/2 mile mark around 1:27, which was where the race started.  This happened to be a water/food station where we could refuel before going out for the remaining 5 miles.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider stopping there and calling it a day.  But I have come to learn that I need that heart, desire, and willpower to push on, and push aside the mental mind games I find myself dealing with.  Colorado is going to be worse, and 10 times as many miles as this. 

I pushed ahead and ran on/off for the next 2 - 3 miles.  I kept remembering what my ultramarathoner friend Lisa told me a few months ago.  "It is ok to walk.  You have to look at the bigger picture." This wasn't a time trial.  It was nothing more than a training run, and I was now primarily by myself out there, having to deal with my own thoughts.  I continued on and got a second wind around 11 miles and picked up the pace for the remaining 2 miles.  That renewed energy really helped me to know that even when you feel tired, you can regain strength by doing some power walking up hills.  Just keep moving forward.

And I did.  Finished in 2:19:34 by chip time.  Better than expected even though I felt disappointed during the run.  Came in 52/80, and 8/10 in my age/gender group.   More long training runs to come, more busy weeks ahead, more days with greater heat and humidity await.  At the end of the path, there will be some beautiful scenery awaiting us in Buena Vista, Colorado when we arrive and we'll realize these days were all worth it, and we'd celebrate our journey.

But on Sunday, I decided to celebrate the only way I knew how.  With a cup full of Oreos and Chips Ahoy, and a Diet Coke!  I'm watching my weight, you know.

KEIYH

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! Great job persevering. We have no doubt you will do Emmah (and all of us) proud when you tackle the Rockies. Good to see you are eating right, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete