Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Final Chapter: A New Beginning

After 70 blogs posts and over 5000 site visits, this is the final post I will be making to 113 For Emmah.  It has been an incredibly journey and one that will provide for lasting memories.  I hope you enjoyed reading about our experiences as much I as enjoyed writing about them and participating in the Transrockies Run.

The nearly $6400 raised will certainly go a long way in helping the Children's Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation find a cure for this nasty disease, and will certainly go a long way is assisting the Gudeman Family.  On behalf of them, and Lynn, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your support and encouragement.  I really believe this wouldn't have been possible without all of you.

Many people have asked me "So what's next?" and it is a fair question.  Just doing an event like this showed me that I can do more the just plod along.  The honest answer is "I don't know".  However, I have a few things in mind though.  After I did the Goofy Challenge in 2008 (40 miles over 2 days) to celebrate my turning 40, I jokingly said that the next time you will hear from me for an event and fundraising effort will be for 50 @ 50!   I have to think that is still a good possibility if I can stay in shape and injury free for the next 7+ years, and still have a passion for running.   But I didn't quite take the 10 year break I was thinking about, mainly because I can't sit still for long without seeking a new goal, a new adventure, and new motivation.  So at this point, I do believe there is another run my future - probably the near future.  And I can guarantee you it will be longer than a marathon.  Most likely some true ultra. Either a 50k (31 miles), a 50 miler, or a 100k (62 miles) - all to be done in one continuous stretch over one day.  Now that is a whole new challenge.  For now, I am content for the time at eating badly, watching TV, and reminiscing about what was....not about what will be.  But it won't be long before that itch needs to be scratched.  Right now, I just can't reach it!

I have also been told by some that I need to write about book about my adventure(s), using the blog posts.  No, that takes too much work, and then editors will take it over and it wouldn't be my own content.  I think I can let the blog speak for itself.  However, strange as it may seem, some people actually like what I write about and want more.  Just to know what is rattling around inside my head at any given time, and see if I have any unique spin to put on how I see this world.  So, perhaps I will start my own random blog at some point, but for now I am taking a break from writing as well.  You can see that after the TRR, the frequency of posts has trailed off (again a motivation thing).

This has been a fun, moving, challenging, memorable, incredible, motivating and inspiring journey....thanks for following along.  I hope to hear about some of your adventures too!  Keep in touch! kjban23nc@aol.com.

Ken

KEIYH

2 comments:

  1. I loved Emmah I went to school with her at hufford
    we were friends but not like best friends i am a year younger than her i am in 8th grade this year. Emmah was an amazing girl.
    Rest In Peace Emmah GudeMan 2-10-10
    Hufford jr. high school has a tree planted in the court yard for her that has a sign with her name on it.
    God Bless her two brothers and 3 sister and her 2 loveing parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an amazing paragraph for all the internet visitors; they will get advantage from it I am sure.

    My webpage:

    ReplyDelete