Friday, July 16, 2010

Bad Water

You may be thinking I have issues with the City of Charlotte Water/Sewer Department, but I don't.  Tastes just fine.  You gotta think about the blog title differently.  Lets combine the words. Now we have "Badwater", and possibly the toughest ultra road race around.  This little annual jog took place this week, in Death Valley, California - or at the least the start of the race did (ended at Mt. Whiteny).  Only 80 of the best and most dedicated in the ultra running community get to participate in this 135 mile race that takes you from heat extremes that can reach 130 degrees, to altitudes of 8,000 ft.  Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it?

So this week, my Facebook friend Lisa Bliss once again served as the Medical Director for Badwater, but she was also received the incredible honor of being inducted in the Badwater Hall of Fame, and honor only a select few have received before.  This was for her commitment to the sport, the health and welfare of its competitors, and her victory in 2007.  There is a great write up of her honor on the Badwater site.

Where am I going with this?  I mentioned to my wife, Brenda, that Badwater was taking place this week.  That elicited the same sort of reaction that I got a few years ago when I told my parents I was going to run the Goofy Challenge at Disney World (40 miles over two days).  Quotes from my parents included "What are you nuts? Why would you want to do that?", and "Aren't you concerned about some sort of structural damage?".  Brenda was supportive of that run.  For the Transrockies Run, she has also been very supportive of the 113 miles over 6 days. 

But the mention of Badwater this week brought the reaction of "don't you even think about that"?  Uh-oh.  I have found out there is a limit to how far she is willing to let me run, and in what conditions.  With Mickey, Donald, Pluto and the gang. GO FOR IT!  With hills and altitude.  GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN DO IT.  With 135 miles over 2 days in some of the harshest conditions the earth can offer.  DON'T COME BACK HOME.  Interesting, isn't it. 

Can't a man dream?  I am not getting any younger, you know! If I am going to go down, I want to go down fighting (or running)!  I could blame it on the water...

KEIYH

37 days and counting!  $3900 raised!  Please help us do more!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment