Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Call to Help….A Time For Action

Emmah Gudeman (to be 14 in March) is the oldest of six children (ages 3 -13). I’d like to think I had something to do with Emmah’s presence with us today. You see, I introduced her parents to each other approximately 18 years ago. Yes, I am Bob Eubanks and I made a Love Connection!

In the early 1990’s I did two good things (well, probably more…but my memory is fuzzy). I worked at Arthur Andersen (which opened many doors), and I played recreational softball (living out my Cubs fantasies with many other wannabees). As a result of this mingling of work and play, I met Julie and Jeff (definitely a fellow wannabee) and introduced them on a social work trip to the University of Illinois in 1992. They are Emmah’s parents. I stood up in their wedding, and Jeff was the best man in my wedding. They are good friends who have had more than their share of setbacks the past few years - amongst them Julie’s promising 13-year career at Andersen vanishing in an instant through a shredder. A tornado damaging a portion of their home in Joliet, IL. And cancer affecting one of their precious kids. Emmah’s cancer.

Neuroblastoma is a rare form of cancer, and Emmah has been battling it for nearly 4 years now. She’s a fighter, and has experienced more ups-and-downs than any child should. The cancer has robbed her from doing some of the everyday activities that kids should experience. She has seen many doctors, had many surgeries, and has been in and out of numerous hospitals for various forms of treatment. Jeff and Julie have made many sacrifices to help rid Emmah of her cancer. And so have their other kids: Nick (my godson), Jakob, Rachael, Lyndsey and Ana. They all juggle family responsibilities – Julie working, Jeff spending countless hours at the hospital by Emmah’s side – and make the most of the hand they have been dealt. Yet they all remain upbeat and hopeful.

So I want to help Emmah and the family…and I hope you will want to as well.

In mid January, I met with Lynn to get her final commitment to the TransRockies Run. But I also wanted to share with her my idea to do the run to assist Emmah and her family. Raise funds in support of either Neuroblastoma Research or for Emmah’s care. Lynn was immediately on-board. More wheels were set in motion. We had research to do regarding charitable donations to an organization and a family.


But first, I called Jeff. I wanted his and Julie’s blessing to share Emmah’s story with a wider audience, and make sure they were comfortable with any fundraising activities Lynn and I might take on. I told Jeff about the run, and that I needed a running partner – Lynn. You could hear the audible sigh of relief from Jeff when he realized he wasn’t going to have to run 113 miles in the Rockies to support his daughter. I’m sure he would have if I asked…but hospital food isn’t conducive to honing a runner’s body.  Nor was the food at the Cracker Barrel where we at when our picture here was taken this past December!

To make a long story, short – Jeff and Julie were on-board. Their blessing was given. We would run for Emmah

• Running Partner – check.
• Helping others – check.
• Inspiration – check.
• Wife’s blessing….Uh, Houston….is there a problem? Time for THE discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment