Sunday, April 4, 2010

Boston Marathon - 15 days and counting!

Lynn and I made it out for a run together yesterday (with our friend Meredith). Of course, we are going in opposite directions. Lynn is tapering for the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks, so she is "down" to 14 miles.  I, on the other hand, am only beginning to ramp "up" my miles - trying to get to 14.  On this day, I cut it short at 13 - didn't have much left in the gas tank at the end. 

If this training run was any indication of Lynn's readiness to run in Boston - I'd say she is going to do quite well...and that Heartbreak Hill near the end of the marathon is going to seem like a small speed bump in the road.  Lynn spend most of yesterday about 20 feet in front of us - chit-chatting away about various things, while I was huffing and puffing to catch my breath.  Hills used to be my friend, I'd pound up them and tell Lynn to do the same.  Now she is cruising at warp speed up them, and I am left wondering where my extra gear went.

But it is the big picture we are keeping in mind.  Hill work is going to be quite necessary in the upcoming months to prepare for Colorado, and once Boston comes and goes in two weeks, some serious mileage is going to be taking place, at speeds where we can both carry on a conversation!

Lynn is ready - wish her well - all her training has been leading to this moment - one that only a fraction of people in the US can say they've been able to participate in - THE BOSTON MARATHON!

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment