Friday, April 16, 2010

Look Out Boston - Lynn is READY!!

In Lynn's own words: 

Boston – yikes!


On the misty, humid Saturday morning of February 14, 2009, I park my car and walk to the starting line at the Myrtle Beach Marathon…alone. Every time I run a marathon, I ask myself – ‘Why am I doing this?’ Typically the answer has been because I can and I so much enjoy running with my ‘buddies’ – Ken, Meredeth, Cameron. This particular day, I asked myself – ‘Why do I think a 40 year old woman who couldn’t run one mile 3 years ago can qualify for Boston’?...alone.

If you are wondering why I am focusing on the past as opposed to anticipation for the future, it is because the past comforts me, gives me strength. The past helps me remember where I came from, the joy and pain I have experienced throughout my life that have made me the person I am today.

The future is scary. It is unknown. I leave for Boston this Saturday…alone. I have been ‘through’ Boston only one time previously. I don’t know what to expect other than I plan on running my heart out and yes, through Heartbreak Hill at mile 21.

On April 19, I will walk to the starting line…but not alone. I take with me 41 years of family, friends, those who can’t run and those that never had the chance. I take with me the 14 beautiful little girls I coach for Girls on the Run. During this race, the last race I plan on doing by myself, I will have the hands of so many on my back pushing me forward.

It has been a long and winding road that I have run to get to this place…and I never really ran alone.

I hope to make everyone proud . Thank you for your support and thank you Emmah, for being one of those hands on my back.

KEIYH

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Lynn!! I was thinking about you on Monday and saw your times online. Awesome! I look forward to hearing all about your Rockies adventure!

    ReplyDelete