Friday, September 10, 2010

Beauty In Everything

Lynn's final thoughts about the Transrockies/113 For Emmah experience:


I promised myself upon our return from ‘conquering’ the Rockies; I would let my body recover at least until my birthday (mid-September). The only problem, I felt great. After six days of the most intense physical activity of my life, I wanted more!

As luck would have it, I was immersed immediately back into the real world with a business trip to New York. The camping, camaraderie, 5 minute showers, running/ hiking while eating Clif bars and gels seemed as if only a dream (and sometimes nightmare – if you are familiar with my ‘battle scars’ from day 1).

By the fifth day after my return, I took a yoga class (that isn’t really exercise…is it?) and by the seventh day, I couldn’t wait any longer. I put on my ‘traditional’ running clothes with my regular old running shoes, got in my car like I normally do and drove to a usual running route along a very flat and unexciting greenway. I stretched as usual, saw the average Charlotteans preparing for their Saturday morning jog and quickly realized…I wasn’t going to be running in the Rockies!

I heaved a great sigh for the loss of everything I wasn’t going to experience in my run. I told myself to take it slow with thoughts of a grocery list, laundry and chores swirling in my head. But then it happened! I started to run. The air was crisp, my legs felt strong, I passed folks with a happy ‘good morning’ and for the first time in a very long time, I actually looked around the greenway as I ran. The sun glinted through the trees, a light breeze caressed my face and rustled the leaves, the birds were chirping and all was right with the world. I literally bounced for 12 miles.

If I know the definition of epiphany, I truly believe I had one. I realized the beauty of the Rockies, the experiences I enjoyed and the challenges I had faced were now part of my fabric. I did not lose anything but have merely locked those memories in a very special place that will serve to strength and guide me through glorious and difficult times in the future. It is my hope and belief this is a similar effect Emmah had on so many lives.

Thank you to everyone who supported Ken and me through this crazy adventure. I do not plan on ‘enjoying’ this particular experience again but will continue to seek beauty in all forms to add to my treasure chest. Now that I have the bug, what will be next; hiking rim-to-rim at the Grand Canyon, Machu Picchu, the Alps! Or, maybe just running outside my own back door…

Lynn

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment