Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What I Learned On My Summer Vacation

For most normal people, a vacation is something you do to get away from the hectic pace of your daily routine. This likely means going to the beach, on a cruise, visiting family (is that really vacation???), or visiting some other tourist destination. Chances are good you don’t disconnect from life though (especially work). If that is the case, then you need to do the Ken Bansemer summer vacation!

Before, during, and after the Transrockies Run, I had a lot of time to think. A LOT OF TIME. When you are on the open roads or trails, for many miles and many hours at a time, your mind tends to think about various items (like why Dancing With The Stars hasn't called me yet). So in looking back on what I learned from this experience, I thought I’d share them with you. Maybe there is a nugget in here for you to take away and apply to your own situation.

• What may seem impossible at first, is very possible. Hills, mountains, altitude, distance. All scary…all doable. You never know if you don’t try.  Like the quote goes "what would you do, if you knew that you couldn't fail?"

• The warmest place on a cold morning when in the middle of nowhere is inside a porta-potty. Just saying. There are unspoken trade-offs. (On a side note, I can now hold my breath for over 10 minutes. Just saying.)

• You really can disconnect from work, email and phone calls on vacation. Now it helps when there is no cell or internet connection where you are at. But seriously – leave it at home – or just focus on staying in touch with family. Makes the vacation much more relaxing, and makes for less electronic baggage to carry.

• A tent that is about 4 ½ feet high is not a good changing room. Arms and legs everywhere. And when it is dark out and you are using a flashlight to see while changing, those outside the tent are rolling with laughter.

• When you have a story to tell, and can make it real and personal, others are interested and supportive. Wow! The kindness of those who don’t know me, Lynn, Emmah or the Gudeman’s was amazing. Even in a down economy, people find a way to help.

• Runners come in all shapes and sizes. I knew that. Transrockies runners are bit more fit. I knew that. Transrockies leaders are really good people – down to earth and hang with everyone else for real conversation. They are unlike some of the good road race runners you find at marathons. They don’t travel with a posse.  I don't have a posse.  Therefore, I am not a good road race runner.

• What goes up must come down. Simple. Up – not much fun. Down – lots of fun.  Up-down-up-down-up-down....time for a mixed drink.

• I can go longer and farther than ever imagined. If one day took 6 hours to go 24 miles in the mountains, then on a flat trail…..

• Good friends are hard to come by. When you find them, make sure you keep in touch.  And when you can help them, find a way.

• Good running partners are even harder to come by. When you find one, make sure they like to sleep in cramped tents, and are ok with no mascara.  I left my eyeliner at home.

• I love trail running….and will look to find ways to continue doing that. If you haven’t tried it, give it a shot. May not do a road marathon again, unless I am looking for a long training run. :)

• When warming up in the porta-potty, I found that there are different types of construction methods used. Over 1000 rivets, composite plastics, some have mirrors, some don’t. Hand sanitizer stations are all the rage, and single ply is the most common form of sandpaper used to…..uh, too much sharing?

• Goals are what drive the commitment, or maybe the commitment is what drives the goals. Either way, without the goal and the commitment, something big will never happen. Too easy to procrastinate and say “I can do this later”. Later may never come.  I don't want to be late to the party.

• Emmah is more than just the daughter of a family friend. She became my guide and confidant. She picked me up when I was down, and kept me focused when I was wavering. Who is your Emmah?

• My summer vacation in the Rockies wasn’t the same without family there. Let’s just say it was different – all in a good way. And I’d do it again, next year and each year, if it weren’t for that aspect. And I never do the same race twice.  It was that good.

I could share many more thoughts on my summer vacation, but I doubt you want to know about my 2 a.m. treks to the porta-potty, in the cold, because I was over-hydrated. Or how changing clothes in a sleeping bag is not as easy as it might seem. Or how we had only one rule in the tent…and it was around farting. I think that would be too much learning for one summer…..

KEIYH
 
PS - only two more posts to go....are you still there?

2 comments:

  1. I'm here anxiously waiting for the next posts. So touched to know that Emmah became your guide and confidant.....she touched so many lives in so may ways. Ken, you are an inspiration to so many...a simple thank you seems so trivial.

    ReplyDelete