Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Final Verdict

So let's see....I did a dumb aerobic trick over some stadium chairs to miss getting a t-shirt for Ryan at a hockey game.  I didn't go to the doctor immediately to find out I broke a rib.  I did a dumb thing by lifting heavy objects into our attic a week after the "accident" thinking I was healed, only to find out that lifting really hurt....which landed me at said doctor.  1 - 2 weeks of no "impact" activities?  Bogus.  After nearly 6 weeks of no running between January 22 and late February, I was finally able put one foot in front of the other without any pain.  Thank goodness!  Unfortunately, I lost most of my fitness during that time and have had to start running from scratch again (more on that to come in next post or two).

But in the meantime, I had to share with everyone who asked "the story" of how I broke the rib.  It kinda became a running joke around the house that it "WAS ALL RYAN'S FAULT!"  (hey - why accept the blame when I could toss it on an unknowing 7-year old!  He was the one who made me hold all the crap in my lap during the game.  I have AWESOME hands - see The X Factor post - I would've had the shirt if it wasn't for him!).  Yeah - I'm a bad parent....so sue me.....

The first few times I used that excuse with others, Ryan kinda gave me a certain look.  But it took a toll on the little urchin.  Eventually, it was said once to often and he shouted "IT WASN"T MY FAULT".  Well as Steve Martin was fond of saying...."well exxxxcccuuuuuuuussssssssseeee mmmmeeeeeeeeee".  Guess he had feelings I wasn't considering.  Geez...can't a guy make a joke about his broken rib and toss his kid under the bus?  Isn't that why we have kids????

So, too make this 3-part long story short....I started training for the Transrockies Challenge a few weeks ago in earnest.  I sure hope nobody tries to throw a towel my way while I'm running on the treadmill.  That could lead to a real long story about falling through a plate glass window....

Somehow I think I could find a way to blame the little man....

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment