Monday, March 1, 2010

The X-Factor: A retort... of sorts

Well Ken, you got one thing right… I did work for Panduit and I did in fact know your father-in-law but I think only (at that time) by name… we worked in different divisions. I guess technically that’s two things you got right.

With age comes wisdom, or in Ken’s case dementia. Ken’s recollection of his legendary play is perhaps skewed only by his legendary mind and self imposed status as a premier centerfielder. It must’ve been hard to play with that cape getting in the way and all. I guess this makes his play all that more spectacular. How did you do it Ken? And I now realize why all the diving on even the most routine plays… it was the only way to showcase that cape.

Boy, to listen to Ken talk, you’d think that I was one of the 3 or 4 females per team that were required to be fielded in that league.

I didn’t know Ken when his career was blossoming… only after he was already a legend. A legend in a merchant recreational league... a legend in a coed merchant recreational league. It was only after playing alongside him for many an inning and many a season that I finally came to understand why they tossed him out in centerfield. Outside of his ceaseless asking “how do I look”… Ken only knew how to throw ONE way… long. From my perspective (lacking in color only) they were lovely rainbow throws… soft gentle arcing throws. You know Ken; it doesn’t take any real arm strength to launch rainbow throws… I mean even a gi…

Ken’s predisposition to throw long kept him in the outfield… it cut down on overthrows... not the cutoff man or the backstop for that matter (can you say parking lot souvenirs) they were overshot with regularity... but to first base. The regulars quickly learned where NOT to park their cars. While my throws were on the short(er) side, they at least gave the chance to make a play and not look like a wounded comet leaving the ballpark. It also kept the runner on his/her toes for fear of getting nailed by one of my throws.

I can’t recall you ever having to run 200 ft to make a catch, at least not when I was a wingman (I’m not sure exactly what svelte in a Jeff Gudeman sort of way means) I seem to recall being pretty dang quick myself back in the day. I’m also quite certain that I uhh… don’t want to be referred to as your yang. Something about that sounds all wrong.

Truth be known, I didn’t want to make Ken look too bad (he managed on his own) and it was because of me that he was all that he could be… I let him look good. I will agree that we had played on some good teams (and some not so good teams…) either way, it was always fun. I also agree with Ken in that we would often prod, rib, cajole and blatantly poke fun at one another about our playing abilities or lack thereof. As Ken also said… Thank goodness for each of us that no video footage exists of our spectacular throws....at least none that we know of! Of course there’s no footage Ken… neither of us ever made a spectacular throw.

Ken and I do go back a ways. I look at that picture and long for those days… when I mostly worried about making sure my “uniform” and bat bag was ready for the next game. I miss playing ball… and to set the record straight… Ken and I were really pretty good outfielders and pretty good ballplayers overall. Any number of teams would have made us (me) a welcome addition to their team.

KEIYH

2 comments:

  1. Where did I put that cape? Must be the dementia...

    We were pretty good. Probably do well in the 40 and over leagues now...you know, the ones where 8 women play and they need 2 guys to round out the team...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, at my size, I'd BE the 2 guys. You'd do well in the 40 and over. Me, I'd lead the team in singles... no more stretching singles into doubles, doubles into triples or triples into HR... on the contrary... I'd be the one turning doubles and triples into singles.

    ReplyDelete