Monday, March 1, 2010

Jeff Gudeman: The X Factor

You've been introduced to Julie and Lynn in the last few weeks.  Now it is time to meet Jeff (Emmah's dad).

Like it was with Julie, I really don't remember when I exactly met Jeff.  Strangely enough, he worked at Panduit with my father-in-law for a number of years, but I didn't know that until I started dating Brenda a few years later. I think Jeff and I met when we started playing 12" softball together through other mutual Panduit connections, as part of a department store recreational league (we were known as the Orland Park, IL Sears team.  Can I sell you a camera or computer?).  About that softball....

I played centerfield.  It was my playground.  Lots of space to roam. Back then around 1990, I was quick and had a knack for making routine plays look spectacular (at least that is what Jeff would say...and maybe 8 other teammates....don't believe them.  The dives were necessary). There wasn't a ball hit to the outfield I didn't think I had a chance of getting.  I had already been playing for a number of years by the time Jeff came along and began to play left field on our team.  In our league, each team was required to play 3 or 4 females in each game, and we had some quite talented female players at that time.  Our right fielder happened to be one of those women.  I'll let you figure out what that means about Jeff playing left field.  I'm just saying.  I could be roaming around out there backing up either of my wingmen (or wing-women) should the ladies need help (I mean lady and man.  Geez - it just slips out....).

Anyway, our team was pretty good...and we would often prod, rib, cajole and blatently poke fun at one another about our playing abilities.  It is just one of life's rituals and that is what good friends do to each other. Great memories, share laughs. In all fairness, while I was good, I had a deficiency.  I was known as X + 5.  On long throws from the outfield to the plate, or third base, I had a tendancy to overthrow my fellow teammates - by about 5 feet.  Ok, sometimes more - there may have been a memorable throw or two (or 5, I lose count - I had a long career) over a backstop.  Hence, X + 5.  Gotta tell you though - some of those throws were real beauts!!!  Kept the spectators alert!  If you have a cannon for an arm, why not use it!

But my wingman, my left fielder, my best man, was not without his moments.  Jeff was once svelt (in a Jeff Gudeman sort of way), and had a similar gift of gab (like Julie).  So while I was taking a verbal beating due to my throws from center, Jeff would take his share too (often because I had to run 200 feet to catch balls he could've loped 20 feet for).  However, every ying as a yang.  Jeff was my yang.  He was X - 5!  His tendancy was to underthrow the balls by 5 feet (or more...could have been 25 from my viewpoint) to teammates. Bounce them into the dirt.  Threw it like a gi....

Hmmm - I think you get the picture.  The X factor.  When all is said and done....we evened each other out...which is what made us good friends...and let us have many good laughs as a result.  Note: The above photo was of Jeff and me at the Golden Glove presentation For Outstanding Fielding in a Recreational Softball League.  Look at how strong those right arms are!!!  Oh wait, maybe that photo was at Jeff and Julie's wedding.  Sometimes the memory create moments that we want others to believe.   You be the judge.

Thank goodness for each of us that no video footage exists of our spectacular throws....at least none that we know of!

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment