Thursday, February 25, 2010

In Her Own Words: Lynn Pettus (Runner #1)

When Ken asked me to write an introduction for the blog, I was a little stumped as to what to say. I am a ‘numbers’ person and don’t have the gift of writing like Ken does. That said, given the importance of our upcoming adventure – on multiple levels – here goes…

My name is Lynn and I run. I don’t consider myself a ‘runner’. To me, runners are people who are considered athletes, elite, competitive. I am just a mountain girl from Asheville, NC who put on running shoes for the first time 4 years ago, started running and never stopped.

So, why do I run? Through the twist and turns of life, I found myself with a lot of nervous energy that I needed to burn off. I started running. I ran for my own sake, my own sanity, for me and me alone. I ran to escape but at the end of every run – I always caught up with myself. Then in the fall of 2007, I called the Charlotte, NC chapter of ‘Team in Training’ after hearing about what a great charitable experience it was from a good friend. I signed up late, had missed the kick-off meeting, training had already started and worst of all, I didn’t know a soul – but I was determined. On a cool, crisp October morning, I drove to the Dowd YMCA and met the other folks training for the Disney Marathon. We started running and this ‘guy’ and I started talking. We worked for large accounting firms, knew some of the same people, had common goals and interests – of which running for a greater good was becoming increasingly important. At the end of that 10 mile run, I felt I had direction and purpose. Something clicked for me that day…maybe my heart grew just a little bit like our friend the Grinch.

I do not run for me, myself or I any more. I run with and for family and friends. I run for those in need, I run for those who can’t. Whenever I am tired or sluggish, I feel an imaginary hand on my back, always pushing me forward. I have a good idea whose hand it is and what it represents. I am so fortunate to be able to run and have formed very strong friendships that I hope will last this lifetime. Oh, and if you haven’t figured it out already, that ‘guy’ was Ken…

After 3 marathons and a handful of ½ marathons, Ken proposed a new and very scary challenge. Run how many miles in how many days? The question for me was not why but rather why not? We discussed the rigorous training, time commitment, wear and tear on our bodies. It was a daunting task – and then he told me about Emmah. I did not have the fortune of meeting her in this life but am honored that every step I take, every breath I draw during our 113 mile adventure will be for her and finding a cure for Neuroblastoma cancer.

You probably won’t see me write much more for the blog, I will leave that to the master – Ken. But please know how much I appreciate your support of our Transrockies run in thought, prayer, and support for cancer research.

So, why do I run? Because I have to. Thank you Emmah…

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment