Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dancing With Stars Called!

They finally responded to my many calls and applications to appear on their show!  Unfortunately, the had bad news to share.   After watching my latest submission tape, from this weeks Zumba class, they have politely declined my offer to participate in the next season of the show.  Apparently, my Latin dancing is not up to par - too many left feet, and lots of elbows. In the "I think they are being a bit critical" category, I was advised that when sashaying your hips, the rest of your body should not move like jello.   A bit harsh, don't you think?

Now in the "things are looking up" category, my ballroom dance career may be able to overcome any latin deficiencies, and land me on the Afghan version of "Dancing With the D-listers".  I sure hope I get paired up with my favorite star, Kathy Griffin.  We'd rock that dance floor.....gotta make Julianne Hough jealous somehow....

So, in all seriousness (if that is possible when talking about my dance moves), I went to Zumba again last night, as part of my cross-training regimen.  This week, Jonathan was the instructor.  He proceeded to have moves that made me blush, but thankfully I was hidden in the back of room where nobody could see how bad I was....until Jonathan decided that we would spend half our time doing ballerina turns, so suddenly I was at the front of the class.  Mean trick dude.  It got even worse when I turned the wrong way and the class was facing me...while I was facing them.

By my count, there were two men in the Zumba class - Jonathan and me.  And twenty women of all ages.  I would honestly tell you it could be easy on the eyes, except I spend so much time trying to look past their feet to see which way Jonathan is moving....so I can follow with the same move three seconds later.  My wife knows I am fond of saying "nothing beats a good group dance number", which is why I am a Dancing With The Stars fan.  So when 21 people in the class are looking ahead at the front mirror, all moving in unison, it is a beautiful sight.  The problem occurs when you throw the 22nd person into the mix, and he is looking confused, it looks like a bad high-school cheerleading routine.  

So, I sincerely apologize to my Zumba classmates.  Please be patient with me.  If we can change the beat count from 120 steps a minute to about 30, we are going to be something damn special!

Judges:  3 - 4 - 2.  I am worse that Steve Wozniak....

This weekend's training schedule doesn't include any dancing.  Friday: 12 miles. Saturday: 14 miles. Sunday: 16 miles.  Pray for clouds....

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment