Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Reunion....of Sorts

Today was the first time Lynn and I trained together in approximately 2 months.  Guess that's what happens when two busy people try to fit in a ultra run in the middle of everything they have going on in life.  Today we went 10 miles at 7:00 am - dang it was hot and humid at the start - probably 75 degrees and warming!  But it gave us a chance to catch up on life, and to begin to discuss what we are really going to face in Colorado in a mere 78 days (yes - that darn countdown timer on the blog started at nearly 200 days and has whittled down to just about 2 1/2 months).  Where has the time gone?

Well, Lynn has spent her time running the Boston Marathon, travelling for work, enjoying a beach house, and living La Vida Loca - did you know she is single?  I have been living the life of Parenthood - ballgames, selling a house, work, and countless family activities.  In between, we find times to run during the week that are convenient for us, and hope that our weekend schedules match up.

It was interesting to discuss our training so far (no - we don't talk during the week - only periodically text or email each other to confirm running plans for the weekend.  What would we talk about on the runs then???).  Lynn is a cross-training machine:  spinning class one day, yoga another, working with a personal training on Wednesdays, and then doing runs probably 3 - 4 days/week.  Her overall mileage is low, but her overall fitness is high.  I, on the other hand, have primarily been running 5 - 6 days/week, and have much higher mileage, but limited core strength.  Don't like doing all the other work that goes with training for this, because I think I need to be good on endurance.  So what is the right answer?   We decided somewhere in between what we are each doing. 

So Lynn will probably drop the spinning class to get another day running in.  I am trying to stick fairly religious with the training schedule I posted the other day, and do some light cross training and yoga (albeit on the Wii Fit....does that really count?  It keeps scoring me on each activity - and not too high I might add!).  Apparently I am not as flexible as I should be, or steady at time, and a little voice says "you seem shaky."  Hey Wii Fit - I have 78 days....back off!!!

Of course, our running styles and paces are quite different as well.  I am pretty "steady as she goes" in terms of pace, and can't carry a conversation if running too fast.  Lynn is a little like my softball throwing, X+5: trying to keep the same pace as me, but always five feet ahead of me!   We are learning that pace won't matter much in Colorado, but endurance will.  You've heard the saying, "this isn't a sprint, it is a marathon"?  Well, "this isn't a marathon, it is about 6 over 6 days".  And in the current hot and humid weather in Charlotte, NC, it is going to be a long 78 days working to build up our mileage and fitness.  Keeping the big picture in mind.

Baby steps....

KEIYH

1 comment:

  1. Ken -

    That is NOT your Mii... Please, I've got more "BMI obese" in one "pec" than you have in your whole body.

    ReplyDelete