Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fulfulling a Dream....Delayed, hopefully not Denied


I am sitting on an airplane on a Sunday morning.  Was all set to make a trip to Chicago for a work conference, and decided to come in a day or two early so I could visit with family and friends.  As part of the trip, I am (hopefully not "was") going to visit Jeff and Jule Gudeman - they are going to be my first stop upon landing at O'Hare.  It would be the first time I would see them since late December when our two families came together for a breakfast at a local Cracker Barrel.
Unfortunatley, after boarding the plane and getting situatted, the pilot announced bad weather is just beginning to move across O'Hare airport, and is shutting down all incoming and outgoing flights.  This weather system is extending into Iowa, and going to cause a 1 1/2 hour delay at a minimum.  In FAA speak, I take that to mean at least 4 - 5 hours, 'cause we all know we never get the full story during the brief announcements made to keep us apprised of "the situation".

While I find this weather to be completely unacceptable, I know I cannot control it.  I was really looking forward to getting to the Gudeman residence about midday.   I figured about that time, I would need to use the bathroom.  And if you are a faithful reader of the 113 For Emmah blog, you know I have unfinished "business" to take care of at the house.  A personal goal to relieve myself of.....

And if you have no clue what this is about - read the previous post describing my dream.

So, I hope I am only delayed, and not denied this golden opportunity.  I guess there could always be other days, but when you look forward to something badly, you want to make it happen when the time arrives.

This analogy serves well for the run.  Last week I injured by Achilles tendon during a training run with Lynn.  Have no idea how it happened, but by the end of the day, I couldn't walk and was in pain.  Over the past week, that pain has subsided some, but I have not been able to run more than a few feet.  You can imagine how frustrating this can be for someone who is SO READY to do this run, and absolutely is prepared to go out and train for it on a regular basis. The run is only 8 weeks away, and we are committed to go, but I am incredibly concerned about whether my achilles will heal - especially when there is no good way to treat it other than rest.  And no clue as to whether the injury will flare up again on another training run, or during the race.   So just like visiting Jeff and Julie....I hope I am only delayed, and not denied this golden opportunity. I guess there could always be other years to do the run, but when you look forward to something badly, you want to make it happen when the time arrives.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers and wish for a speedy recovery.  In 10 years of running, I've never had something like this happen, especially during an easy training run, and I know I have many people counting on Lynn and I do this, and I don't want to let anyone down.  Especially Lynn.  And Jeff and Julie.

And Emmah.

KEIYH

PS - they just announced we are reboarding.  Can it really be true?  Not counting on it by the way the pilot just said "we may just sit on the runway".  No confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment