Sunday, August 8, 2010

Don't Worry....Be Happy...

This past week I was in California to attend a few work related conferences. This is always one of my favorite trips as I get to reconnect with some great business colleagues and friends I only see once or twice a year. A few years ago, when I was fundraising for a Team-in-Training run, this wonderful group turned out to be my biggest supporters, both monetarily and with words of encouragement.

So it was no surprise this week that the topic of the TransRockies Run came up more than once. Some were aware of the upcoming event, and when we started discussing it, others were drawn to the conversation and had their own questions and reactions. I was able to share why I wear my KEIYH (Keep Emmah In Your Heart) bracelet. I discussed the “where’s” and “when’s” of the run…but more importantly…the “why’s”. This led to Emmah’s story, and more than once during the week, a misty eye was shared by many (myself included multiple times). This is a compassionate group, many with children, many who understand giving back (a core value of the Beta Alpha Psi organization we are a part of), many with a big heart, and many who want to help and asked me to send them more information – which I will gladly do.

But I had other thoughts throughout the week. I was wondering how I could talk about Emmah, and her parents Jeff & Julie, for so many months, without all the emotional feelings that came out this week, and I believe I found the answer.

Disappointment.

This journey is nearing its end, and I am disappointed that it can’t continue indefinitely. I have really, really enjoyed the experience of running more and farther than ever before, and tackling a new challenge. The thought of Emmah kept me going more than once on my long runs, an inspiration I haven't had when training for other runs. I have enjoyed talking about what lies ahead on August 22 – 27. And I have enjoyed the blogging every few days to bring another aspect of Emmah, Lynn, Jeff, Julie and myself to life for all those following along.

Don’t get me wrong now. We will all remember Emmah forever. This experience is a mere moment in time to celebrate the life of someone incredibly special. But my special way of remembering her and helping her family is going to soon end, and that…is disappointing.

Help me find a way to turn that frown, upside-down!

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment