Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Time To Put Up...Or Shut Up

Time to be serious (or as best I can) as we leave tomorrow for Colorado. The last 8 months has gone by in a blur, and I find it hard to believe that we are actually going to do this thing. I am itching to go! It has been one incredible journey so far. I head into the run very confident that we are going to be fine, that we will make it to the finish, and that it will be everything we imagined…and more.
It is amazing how the simple request of asking someone to help a family they don’t know can turn into an outpouring of support. I am not one who likes to fundraise, and this is only the second time I have done it. To do so, I feel I need to earn it – hopefully you feel I have. To all the donors (so far) to the Gudeman family and to CNCF – THANK YOU SO MUCH! You may not have known Emmah, but you all know someone like her – a 13 year old girl who was robbed of experiencing the great joys of life that pre-teens and teenagers should. She may be gone, but she is not forgotten and over this next week we run to celebrate her.

So many people have told me since I shared I was doing this event that I am crazy, nuts, ambitious, thoughtful, sincere, humorous, generous, kind-hearted and even strange. Whatever you may be thinking, I hope I am also an inspiration.

People have also been quite willing to provide advice or suggestions on how to best tackle this run. How to run up hills, how to run down hills, how to deal with altitude, what to expect (headaches, sluggishness), what to do in Buena Vista (and Beaver Creek) and places in-between, how to recover quicker, how to best sleep in a tent, what to eat, what to drink…..the list goes on and on. Much of the advice I have taken, or read more about. Others, I have had to let go of because circumstances are out of my control. But they have all been received in the spirit of wanting to make sure we make it through this safely. We know you are rooting for us to succeed. To my long-distance ultra coach Lisa – you’ve been awesome!! Someday I want to be you when I grow up.

Lynn and I have been interviewed twice in the past few weeks and the question keeps coming up about what worries us the most about the run. Besides the hills, I worry about the little nagging injuries I have turning into something worse. Also, hopefully no illnesses will hit us, and neither of us will trip on a rock, stumble down a hill, or do something else stupid (like trying to catch a t-shirt at a hockey game like it is a foul ball – darn injury set me back 6 weeks!). I also worry that I am going to forget to pack something I will need – even though I have been setting aside stuff few weeks now. Do I need hair product???

I am looking forward to meeting all the other competitors in Buena Vista, talking “shop”, and soaking up every aspect of the experience. This may never happen again, so I intend on approaching it with a smile, and high-fiving a few tree branches along the way to gain energy (yes – another tip – which I plan on using)!

It is with anticipation that I go to bed tonight and hope to sleep well. I look forward to sharing our thoughts via the blog with you during the next 10 days – should a wireless internet connection be available along the way wherever we are camping.

And perhaps most importantly – I look forward to making it to the finish line Friday night with my running teammate Lynn – who was awesome to take this journey with me (thank you so much!!!) – so we can meet up with Jeff and Julie and celebrate the little girl who has given me the incredible energy and desire to see the Transrockies Run through to the end. This run may be happening with my body, but it is going to be achieved with Emmah’s bracelet on my wrist, Emmah’s photo pinned to my chest, and Emmah’s memory in my heart.

KEIYH

PS - be sure to read down for another post.  There was a second one this morning - from Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment