Sunday, August 22, 2010

Team Emmah is in...

Hell if I know what place we finished in today. I am late for the group dinner as I write this, and I haven't seen any results yet.  So I will give you the shortened version of the day.   Bright sunshine at the start - around 65 perhaps, and got quite warmer throughout the day.  We were exposed most of the time to the sun, and the first 7.3 miles was an elevation gain of 1400 feet - but we managed to make that in about 1:40 I think.  We started near the back of everyone to make sure we ran at our own pace, only to find the first 1 mile + was single track that everyone walked - so that took us about 20 minutes before we actually started to run.

By mile 4 we were heading into some beautiful terrain - single track between two rock walls when Lynn stumbled on a rock and went down. I believe the term would be "face plant".  It wasn't pretty - she skinned both knees and really tore up her elbow quite well.  But she is a trooper and was determined to continue on.  She got some first aid at the first break area, and at the end of the race they bandaged up her elbow. 

We did a lot of walking uphill - tough going, and ran the flats and downhills pretty well until I started having stomach issues around mile 16.  I think I was taking on too much liquid at the break areas and it was having a bad effect on me.  At one point I couldn't go up a hill and had to sit to rest for a few minutes.  The last 3 miles of the 20.6 we covered today was fairly flat and again exposed, and we walked most of it because I didn't have a lot left in my tank.

Crossed the finish line in 4:57.   Then we did an awesome thing and soaked our legs in a nearly creek - very chilly but it felt absolutely great!  Photos to come later.

Our tent city was set up for us when we got shuttled to the campground - albeit as small tent.  No unpacking here - just gathering the necessities.  Got a quick 15 minute massage to loosen up the legs and lower back.  Tomorrow is going to be interesting - only 13 miles, but 2.7 of that is at an incredibly steep incline.  That may take a long time to do before we head down a steep terrain as well.

Gotta run to dinner - and get a good nights rest!

KEIYH

2 comments:

  1. T minus 5 and counting! Glad to read you made it to the tent city in one piece and with only a few maladies to report. Wishing you luck on the incline tomorrow. In your honor, I will walk up the big hill by our house several times tomorrow, keeping you guys in mind all the while. ;) Have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing what Julie said about keeping you guys in mind and our thoughts.

    Ken - What... you couldn't catch Lynn before she hit the ground? Reminiscent of those softball days. I suppose you're going to blame it on it being a single track? ;)

    Hopefully you reconsidered that run to dinner and made that a walk instead.

    Also in you honor, I will (over the course of my day) walk up and down my stairs.

    Seriously though, glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt. Sleep well, stay hydrated... not too much Ken... stay strong and we'll be seeing you before long.

    ReplyDelete