Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our Secret Competitive Advantage

Earlier today I decided to check out the registration list for the Transrockies run.  As of today, there are 119 teams signed up to participate in the 6-day event, and another 50 runners competing solo in a 3 day 50-mile event (new this year to the TRR).  Upon further analysis (which took about 22 seconds, but it sounds good), I found there are 24 teams entered in the 80+ category competition (yes - remember, this is a competition, a race, a challenge of the fittest, a duel in the mountains, a battle of wits, a tactical and strategic event.  Well, you get the picture).  And with even more analysis (another 7 seconds to locate our names on the starting grid), I found that Lynn and I are the 2nd ranked team in this category!

Yes - that is impressive!!!  We aren't really sure how the TRR came up with the team rankings, but this set our spirits incredibly high, and we realize the pressure is now on us to deliver the goods on the trails.

What's that?  Alphabetical order?  Hogwash.  I'm sure they base this on a variety of factors such as age, previous running history, body fat content, ability to eat multiple oreo cookies in a sitting, blogging ability, fundraising, kids named Erika/Ryan, and a host of other factors.  All I have to say is look out team "Never Summer" we are gunning for #1, and  you are standing in our way!
And if we should be successful - that will put us in the prize money!!!  Which we are prepared to donate all proceeds to Emmah's Care.  Yes - that is special.  We do have a big heart!  Makes you really want to root for us to do well against those other 23 teams, doesn't it?

In any competition, athletes look for that "edge".  Something that will help them in the long run triumph over their fellow athlete. The littlest thing can make a difference between 1st and last.  So it is no surprise to those that know me that I have been working for months to find such an advantage.  I am going to share my secret with you, and trust that you understand and are supportive, and won't tell the other athletes.

The race is from August 22 - 27.  That means it starts on a Sunday, likely around 9:00 am MST.  But if you look at the countdown timer on the left side of my blog, you will see that as of now (as of this writing) I have the race for us starting in 7 days and 2 hours.  That means we will be on the course, climbing that first hill, on Saturday, August 21st around 5pm MST.  Sneaky, but a competitive advantage nonetheless.  Those extra 16 hours should give us a good 20+ mile lead on the field!!!  Go team 113 For Emmah!!!!!  Can I get an AMEN???

I'm feeling pretty good about where this is going, aren't you?  It is for a good cause, you know....

KEIYH

No comments:

Post a Comment